Lisa of Jersey Girl Cooks posted this easy and delicious enchilada recipe last December but I didn’t discover it until recently. My husband loved these enchiladas. After the first bite he said, “Oh, these are good.“ Then he said the same thing about ten more times. I loved that they were quick and easy as well as delicious!
Thanks Lisa for sharing this wonderful recipe. Be sure and stop by her blog to check out all her fabulous recipes!
Chicken and Green Chili Enchiladas
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts or purchased already cooked rotisserie chicken
- olive oil
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup salsa verde
- ½ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 12 6- inch corn tortillas I used flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded light Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken on a large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in oven for about 40 – 50 minutes or until the internal temperature is about 170 degrees. Remove from oven and let cool. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan to medium high and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the onions. Saute for 8 – 10 minutes or until the onions are lightly browned. Add the garlic and cumin and saute for an additional minute. Stir in the flour until blended and cook for a minute. Slowly pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 – 4 minutes or until thickened. Add the salsa verde, sour cream, and cilantro. Stir to combine. Season the creamy green chili sauce with salt and pepper.
- Add about 1 cup of the creamy green chili sauce to the shredded chicken and stir to combine.To assemble enchiladas get a large baking dish and spray with cooking spray. Dip a tortilla into the creamy green chili sauce and put it on a cutting board. (You can also put tortillas in the microwave for a few seconds to make them easier to work with.) Put a big scoop of the chicken mixture in the center, sprinkle with a little of the cheese, and roll up the tortilla to enclose the filling. Place the enchilada in the baking dish. Continue to fill all of the tortillas and put them in the baking dish. Pour the remaining creamy green chili sauce over the top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 20 – 25 minutes until bubbly and the cheese is melted. Serve hot with sour cream.
I love creamy chicken enchiladas with verde sauce! It just seems to "work". Congrats on your award!
To show my appreciation for your support, please pick the Award from my place.
This looks really delicious. I love that your recipe doesn't call for a can of mushroom soup. 😉
Thank you for visiting my blog!
I have never made enchiladas. My husband and I both love Mexican food so I should and these to my list. Congrats on your awards! 🙂
Delicious meal! Congratulations on your awards. Very well-deserved!
I love enchiladas. We make them every week, but usually just boring chicken with red sauce and cheese ones. These look like a great change!
Sarah, Maison Cupcake
That looks like such a yummy dinner. Well done on those awards, you deserve them!
Aww!! thank you sooo much for the award… you are so sweet and you know how much sweeter you make my day through our little twee-chats! :))
I'm so honored Barbara!!!! Thanks for the award and your kind words!
Those enchiladas look and sound phenomenal! Look at you–you are quite the lucky woman winning all sorts of awards and prizes lately :-)! That's awesome!
Wow! These Green Chiles Enchiladas look delicious!!
Thanks for the award, Barbara!
Those enchiladas look really good! Easy ya say huh? I'm bookmarking these!
I want to go seee that Sandra Bullock movie too. It looks excellent.
Thanks for the award. Now I'm off to check out all the links. 🙂
Congrats on ur awards…this looks delicious…
Sallie My Sister's Kitchen
I love enchiladas. These look super yummy!
Wow congrats on your awards 🙂 How fun is that! Now these enchiladas look great. I bet they were full of flavor and deliciousness…yum!
Perfect chicken enchilada recipe. Congrats on your giveaway wins and your awards. You have a great blog Barbara.
The enchiladas look like the perfect dinner on a cold, wintry night! Congrats on your awards! 🙂
Oh my, I've never even thought about getting an award for my blog! What a wonderful new world this has opened up for me. Thank you, Barbara!
Mm…that enchilada looks so cheesy. My mouth is watering : )
I am sure my hubs will love your enchiladas too! Thanks for sharing the award!