These Dutch Caramel Apple Pie Bites are a fun, bite-size version of a Dutch apple pie in a flaky, ready-made mini shell with a caramel drizzle on top.
I’ve teamed up with Athens Foods for today’s post. My challenge was to create a great new recipe perfect for fall baking. When I think of fall baking, the first thing that comes to mind is apple pie.
My favorite apple pie is a Dutch apple pie with a crumbly streusel topping. So I decided my mini apple pie bites had to have a streusel topping too.
Then to make them over the top delicious, I decided to add a caramel drizzle on top.
If you’re not a fan of making pie crust, you’re definitely going to love how easy this recipe is to make, because the Mini Fillo Shells are pre-made and recipe ready. You’ll find them in the freezer section at the supermarket.
The apple pie filling is super quick and easy to make as well. Just a few minutes in the microwave with a little sugar and cinnamon, and the apples are tender and juicy, and ready to put in the shells.
Then just a few minutes in the oven to brown up the streusel topping and you have a quick fall dessert that your friends and family are going to go crazy for. I know my family was crazy about them.
Dutch Caramel Apple Pie Bites
- 2 packages 15 count, each Athens® Mini Fillo Shells
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Fuji apples peeled, cored, and cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons butter melted butter
- Caramel Ice Cream Topping
- Preheat oven to 375º. Place Fillo shells on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment or a Silpat.
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix sugar, cornstarch and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, Add apples, and lemon juice and toss to coat. Microwave on high, stirring every 3 minutes, or until apples are tender and liquid has thickened.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the 30 Mini Fillo Shells.
- Prepare crumb topping: In a large bowl combine brown sugar, flour, oats, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon and salt. Add melted butter and mix with a fork until mixture resembles crumbly wet sand. Sprinkle mixture evenly on top of apples.
- Bake 12 minutes until crumb topping is crisp. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Serve with a drizzle of caramel.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Athens Foods, but all opinions expressed are always my own.