This delicious Eye of Round Roast recipe with sauteed mushrooms and savory beef gravy is an easy and ultra-comforting braise recipe for fall or winter.
This braised eye of round roast recipe is pure comfort food. Perfect for chilly fall and winter nights.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe: This is a flavorful braised beef recipe with pops of sweetness from carrots and extra umami from mushrooms and homemade gravy. It’s a hearty, meal that your family will love.
If you love this cut of beef, also try my other recipes for three easy round steak meals.
How to Make Eye of Round Roast
This is a classic braising recipe. An eye of round beef roast, or eye of round steak, is a lean and sometimes tough cut of meat. Cooking the meat in liquid for a long time turns it into a tender succulent roast.
The first step, to sear the meat on all sides, is a must. It builds a wonderful caramelized flavor in the dish and builds a crust on the meat that adds extra texture and a beautiful presentation.
When prepping the veggies for this roast, you want to cut the onions and carrots into large enough pieces so they don’t fall apart in the oven. The roast cooks for 3 hours, so even large pieces will have plenty of time to cook through!
How to Know if the Roast is Done
You’ll know the roast is fully cooked when you can easily pierce the meat with a fork or skewer. You want the roast to be fall-apart tender. It will have an internal temperature of at least 200°F.
While the eye of round roast briases in the oven, you can make the delicious sauteed mushrooms on the stove.
When they’re nicely browned and flavorful, add the mushrooms to the pot with the roast during the last 15 minutes of cooking. This way, the mushrooms absorb the flavors and become part of the dish.
You can use any kind of small to medium mushrooms for this recipe. Leaving them whole will keep them from over-cooking on the stove and in the pot.
Gravy for Eye of Round Roast
Finish this savory roast beef dish with a wonderful homemade gravy. Simply transfer the roast to a plate and let it rest. You’ll use the flavorful stock left in the pot to make a thick and creamy gravy.
Tip: When adding the flour, whisk until no clumps remain before adding it to the broth. This is the key to a smooth and flavorful, not clumpy or chalky, gravy.
More Delicious Beef Recipes
Try these other comforting and hearty beef recipes next:
- Round Steak with Noodles is rounded out with springy noodles to complete the dish.
- Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon from Pressure Cooking Today is a classic pressure cooker meal with onions, carrots and a delicious sauce.
- Round Steak with Gravy has a similar thick and rich gravy to serve with the roast beef.
Eye of Round Roast
- 2- pound beef eye of round roast
- Salt and pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped in large chunks
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 4 large carrots peeled and cut in large pieces
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Prepared mashed potatoes for serving
- 1 8- ounce package small-medium mushrooms cleaned
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon beef Better Than Bouillon
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Generously salt and pepper the beef.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of oil into dutch oven and heat until hot on medium heat. Once oil is hot, sear the meat on all sides until each side is browned, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Add in the onions and sauté for about 4 minutes to soften slightly adding more oil if needed. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in the carrots, oregano, and thyme. Pour in the beef stock. (Beef stock should cover most of the meat (or all). If it does not turn meat every 30 minutes while cooking so it doesn’t dry out.)
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and bake for 3 hours or until meat can be pulled apart with a fork very easily. (An internal temperature of over 200°F for fall apart tender beef.)
- When the roast is tender, cook the mushrooms. Place oil and butter into a non-stick pan. Once butter is melted and oil is hot add the mushrooms. Sauté until mushrooms are tender.
- Add the mushrooms to the dutch oven with the roast and other vegetables. Cover and bake for 15 minutes more.
Remove the roast from the oven. Remove the meat to a plate and cover with foil. Use a slotted spoon to remove the carrots, onions and mushrooms to a large serving bowl and cover with foil. There should be about 3 cups beef stock left in the pan.
- Whisk together flour and water until smooth. Whisk into beef stock. Add in the beef flavored Better Than Bouillon. Whisking until dissolved.
- Place dutch oven on the stove top and cook the gravy on medium heat until it comes to a boil. Simmer for about 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the heavy cream until blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- ServingSlice the roast and serve it with the carrots, onions, and mushrooms over mashed potatoes covered with gravy.