My Round Steak Beef and Gravy Recipe is that secret super easy meal idea that every mom needs in their kitchen toolbox. Turn a simple round steak into a delicious meal with just a few pantry ingredients.
My family loves when they see this cooking because they know it means one or more of their favorite meals is about to be on the dinner table.
This is the first of the meals I make from my Three Easy Round Steak Meals. The other two round steak meals are Round Steak Beef and Noodles and Round Steak Beef Stew. If you don’t want to make all three meals, I also have the other recipes for each round steak recipe written individually.
Beef and Gravy Recipe
Growing up my mom always made a nice meal on Sundays, often beef and gravy. We always looked forward to Sunday dinners when we’d gather around the table and enjoy this wonderful home-cooked meal.
Generally, you won’t find a large classic round steak at the store anymore. They now like cut the meat into separate cuts usually bottom round, top round, or eye of round roasts. I like to use round steak to make this beef and gravy recipe because it’s lean and easy to cut into individual serving pieces.
Sirloin tip round steak roasts are what I like to buy if it’s available, but thick cut top or bottom round, or an eye of round roast work well too.
How to Serve Beef and Gravy
My family loves it when I make homemade creamy mashed potatoes to serve with this beef and gravy meal. I like to ladle the flavorful gravy over the potatoes as well as the meat.
Occasionally, I’ll make baked potatoes or roasted red potatoes to serve with it instead.
You’ll also want to add a colorful vegetable on the side. My family’s favorite is my Roasted Green Beans with Almonds, steamed or Oven Roasted Broccoli, or even just frozen mixed vegetables as seen in the pictures.
No matter what you serve with it, it’s an old fashioned comfort food meal that your family will love.
- 2 lbs round steak roasts (top round, bottom round, eye of round, or sirloin tip round steak)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon beef base (Better Than Bouillon)*
- 1 tablespoon dehydrated minced onion or 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- In a large dutch oven brown steak (roast) on all sides in a hot pan with vegetable oil. The browning adds so much flavor, so be sure and brown the meat well. Add more oil if necessary to brown all the roast.
- If using fresh onion, add it to the pan with some additional oil and saute until tender. Add 1 cup of water to the pan (be careful because it may spit at you) and deglaze the pan, scraping up all the brown bits. Add remaining water, add more if necessary to almost cover the meat.
- Stir in beef base (Better Than Bouillon) and dehydrated onions, if using.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and roast in a preheated 350º oven for about 3 hrs until the meat is fork-tender. It could take longer than 3 hours to become fork-tender, it just depends on how thick the roast is to begin with.
- Remove from the oven, place the meat on a cutting board and slice round steak into thick individual serving portions.
- To make the gravy, mix flour with 3 tablespoons water and gradually whisk into the pan on the stove over medium heat, stirring until it thickens. You may need to add more of the flour mixture or more water to get the desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the sliced round steak to the gravy and stir to combine.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and vegetables.
*Can substitute beef bouillon cubes.