This Round Steak Beef Stew Recipe is a perfect combination of round steak and vegetables, in a rich gravy. A delicious, hearty recipe that is a meal in a bowl.
Round steak is often a more affordable cut of beef, especially if you can find it on sale. It’s lean and easy to use in recipes. This beef stew is part of my favorite meal prepare shortcut recipes, Three Easy Round Steak Meals.
The idea is simple, you cook 6 lbs. of round steak and once it’s fork-tender, divide the meat and gravy and use it to make three different meals. This shortcut allows you to get oven braised beef stew on the table in less than 30 minutes.
If you don’t want to cook enough round steak to make all three meals, I also have the recipes for each round steak recipe individually.
Beef Stew Recipe in the Dutch Oven
There is just something about a beef stew that sticks to the ribs longer than other meals. If you have a “meat and potatoes” fan in your house, it is also a great way to satisfy them while stretching a meal a bit further.
What to Serve with Beef Stew
The best thing about this delicious beef stew recipe is that it truly is a one-pot meal. You don’t have to dirty a bunch of dishes for a delicious meal that is satisfying to everyone.
When I make this, I like to serve it with some nice crusty bread to dip into that rich flavorful gravy. You could also leave the pasta out of the recipe, cook it separately, and then pour the stew over it for a slightly different option.
Can I Make Round Steak Beef Stew In An Instant Pot
If you are like me, you know that making most meals in the Instant Pot cuts the time in the kitchen. Many people prefer beef stew when slow-cooked in the dutch oven, but you can make a great tasting stew in the electric pressure cooker/Instant Pot. If you’re short on time, be sure and check out my Old-Fashioned Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe.
More Soup and Stew Recipes
If you enjoy this stew recipe, you’ll love these recipes. Tons of flavor and easy to make, these are hits at the dinner table year-round. The Minestrone Soup and Pasta Fagioli are perfect choices that much like this beef stew recipe, are all-in-one meals you will love.
- 3 cups of cubed round steak in gravy*
- 1 can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni
- 1 12 ounce bag frozen corn
Beef and Gravy*
- 2 lbs round steak roasts (top round, bottom round, eye of round, or sirloin tip round steak), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon beef base (Better Than Bouillon)*
- 1 tablespoon dehydrated minced onion or 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- Heat round steak in gravy, tomatoes, parsley, and bay leaves until boiling over medium heat.
- Add diced potatoes and carrots. Simmer until potato is almost tender stirring frequently. (Add water if necessary for desired broth consistency.)
- Add macaroni. When the macaroni is almost done, add frozen corn.
- Serve when corn is heated through. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Beef and Gravy Instructions:
- Season the beef generously with salt and pepper. In a large dutch oven brown cubed round steaks on all sides in a hot pan with vegetable oil. Brown the meat in batches for about 5 minutes per batch until all the meat is browned—do not crowd the pot. Add more oil as needed. Transfer the browned meat to a plate.
- If using fresh onion, add it to the pan with some additional oil and saute until tender. Add 1 cup of water to the pan (be careful because it may spit at you) and deglaze the pan, scraping up all the brown bits. Add remaining water, add more if necessary to almost cover the meat.
- Stir in beef base (Better Than Bouillon) and dehydrated onions, if using.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and roast in a preheated 350º oven for about 1 hour or until the meat is fork-tender.
- To make the gravy, mix flour with 3 tablespoons water and gradually whisk into the dutch oven on the stove over medium heat, stirring until it thickens. You may need to add more of the flour mixture or more water to get the desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with over egg noodles prepared according to package directions. Top with sour cream, optional.
*The original recipe assumes you're making my Three Easy Round Steak Meals and have the beef and gravy ready to make the stew. I've added directions for making the beef and gravy for those who are making it separately.