Are you ready to embark on a yummy journey that involves dough, a little twist, and a whole lot of deliciousness? If you’re nodding your head with excitement, then get ready to dive into the delightful world of Homemade Pretzels!
Soft, pillowy dough infused with the aroma of fresh-baked bread, a sprinkling of salt, and a hint of buttery goodness. Add to that the satisfaction of shaping your very own pretzels, giving them a personal touch that store-bought snacks just can’t compete with.
Before we get into the doughy business, let’s assemble our dream team of ingredients. You’ll need all-purpose flour, warm water, active dry yeast, a pinch of sugar, butter, a sprinkle of salt, and a whole lot of enthusiasm!
Now comes the most fun part – shaping the dough! First, knead your dough like it’s your stress ball after a long day. Flatten it into a rectangular shape and then cut it into strips. It’s playdough time, people! Roll and stretch each strip into a long rope, making sure to give them some extra love with a tender pat.
Time for the magic twist! Take the two ends of your dough rope and make a cute little heart shape or a knot, pretending you’re a pretzel-pastry Picasso! Your pretzels are now shaped and ready to give them a little warm water bath. It’s just to ensure that those pretzels get that lovely deep color and perfect chewiness. Now bake and enjoy the aroma that fills your home.
- Active dry yeast
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
- Coarse salt
Keep scrolling to find a full, printable recipe with a detailed ingredient list.
- Activate Yeast: Whisk yeast into warm water, let sit for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Mix Dough: Combine salt, brown sugar, melted butter with yeast mixture.
- Knead and Add Flour: Slowly add 3 cups of flour, knead until smooth, adding more if sticky.
- Shape and Boil: Divide dough, shape pretzels, boil in water with baking soda for 20 seconds.
- Bake and Enjoy: Brush with egg white, sprinkle salt, bake at 400°F for 18 minutes until golden brown. Delight in your homemade pretzels!
Frequently Asked Questions
Not at all! Making homemade pretzels is a fun and rewarding baking experience. The recipe is relatively simple, and with a little patience and practice, you’ll be twisting perfect pretzels in no time.
After kneading the dough and before letting it rise, you can freeze it for future pretzel-making sessions. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container. When you’re ready to use it, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then proceed with shaping and baking.
The sky’s the limit when it comes to pretzel toppings! Get creative with various combinations like shredded cheese, everything bagel seasoning, garlic butter, or even a sweet glaze. Don’t be afraid to experiment and make your pretzels uniquely delicious.
Homemade pretzels are best enjoyed fresh from the oven when they are soft and warm. However, you can store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2-3 days. If they start to lose their softness, you can reheat them in the oven for a few minutes to bring back that fresh-baked goodness.
- Sweet Pretzels Sticks with Strawberry Cream Cheese Dip
- Cinnamon Pretzel Twists
- Whole Wheat Pepperoni Pretzel Knots
- Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Cookies
If you’ve tried this homemade pretzels recipe or any other recipe on Barbara Bakes, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories.
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup baking soda
- 1 egg white beaten
- Coarse salt for sprinkling
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the active dry yeast into warm water. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes until it becomes foamy and activated.
- Add the salt, packed brown sugar, and melted butter to the yeast mixture. Whisk until all the ingredients are combined.
- Slowly add 3 cups of all-purpose flour to the mixture, one cup at a time, and mix until the dough becomes thick and starts to come together.
- Add 1 more cup of flour to the dough, kneading it until it is no longer sticky. You may need to add more flour if the dough is still too sticky.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for 3 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it in a greased bowl. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Line two large baking pans with parchment paper and set them aside.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal sections. Roll each section into a long rope, about 20 inches long.
- Shape each rope into a pretzel shape and place them on the prepared baking pans.
- In a large pot, combine 9 cups of water with the baking soda and bring it to a boil.
- Carefully place each pretzel into the boiling water for 20 seconds. This step gives the pretzels their classic chewy texture.
- Remove the pretzels from the boiling water and place them back on the baking pans.
- Brush the beaten egg white over each pretzel and sprinkle them with coarse salt for added flavor and texture.
- Bake the pretzels in the preheated oven for 18 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- For a different twist, you can sprinkle the pretzels with cinnamon sugar instead of coarse salt for a sweet version.
- Serve the pretzels warm, straight from the oven, for the best taste and texture.
- These homemade pretzels are great for snacking, dipping in mustard or cheese sauce, or enjoying as a fun party treat.
- Leftover pretzels can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or two. Reheat them in the oven to refresh their texture before serving.
Homemade pretzels offer a delightful experience for both amateur and seasoned bakers alike. With just a few simple ingredients and some creative shaping, you can enjoy the satisfaction of creating your own soft, chewy, and flavorful pretzels right in the comfort of your kitchen. Embrace the joy of homemade goodness and treat yourself to a batch of these irresistible treats – your taste buds will thank you!