Lemon rice is a fast and delicious stovetop recipe full of bright lemon flavor and perfect to serve with your favorite Greek and Mediterranean recipes.
Every year, my family visits a local Greek festival put on by the Orthodox church here in Salt Lake City. We have so much fun trying all of the food. And one of our absolute favorite dishes every year is the Greek Souvlaki with Lemon Rice.
I had to make my own version of the recipes at home, and now my family loves eating this for dinner all year long!
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe: This rice has a creamy, tender texture and a bright, refreshing flavor. It’s easy to make on the stove and pairs well with any other protein.
How to Make Lemon Rice on the Stove
Rice is an all-around easy and convenient side dish to round out your meals. And it’s easy to take your rice from plain to flavorful with a few simple ingredients.
In fact, you probably already have all of the ingredients you need to make this Greek lemon rice on hand right now.
Cooking rice in lemon juice and chicken broth infuses the grains with bright, deep flavor. And toasting the grains before you add the liquids helps deepen the flavor of the grains as well, with minimal work.
PS: We also have an Instant Pot Lemon Rice version of this recipe over at Pressure Cooking Today.
What to Serve with Greek Lemon Rice
I first made this recipe as a side dish to serve with Greek Souvlaki, a dish of quick grilled pork that’s marinated in olive oil and lemon.
However, this stovetop lemon rice can brighten up nearly any protein or vegetable entree. Try it with my Perfect Steak Kabobs or Grilled Lemon Pork Chops.
More Popular Side Dish Recipes
Try these other favorite side dish recipes from Barbara Bakes:
- Russian Braided Bread with Pesto Filling is a fluffy, flavorful bread with savory herb filling in every layer.
- Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon is a great vegetable recipe for holiday gatherings or weeknights.
- Instant Pot Spanish Rice is a fast pressure cooker recipe that gets easy flavor from jarred salsa.
Stovetop Lemon Rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup long grain rice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Garnish with chopped parsley
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add rice and saute stirring frequently until rice is transparent.
- Add broth, salt, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
- Cover pan, turn heat to the lowest setting, and simmer 25 min. or until rice is tender.
Leave a Reply