This is a moist, tender quick bread with the rich flavors of fall. It’s studded with sweet cinnamon chips which creates almost a little sugar crust on the outside of the bread.
I had planned to make my favorite Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread, but when I went to the pantry to get the chocolate chips my big bag of mini cinnamon chips was sitting there looking irresistible. So I decided to switch it up a bit and make these cute little shaped Pumpkin Cinnamon breads. (I couldn’t decided if I should call them breadlets, cakelets, muffins? But we definitely called them delicious!)
Hershey’s makes Cinnamon Chips, I used Merkens mini Cinnamon Baking Chips from Gygi, and King Arthur also sells mini cinnamon chips. If you’re up for it Renata made some impressive homemade cinnamon chips. Of course if you can’t find cinnamon chips, this recipes is fantastic with chocolate chips too.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup butter, soften
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 16 oz can of pure pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups cinnamon chips
- 2/3 cup cinnamon chips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
- Preheat oven to 350º and spray two medium loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. (I made 12 mini pumpkins and 2 mini loafs 5 3/4 x 3 1/4 x 2 1/4.) Don’t fill more than 2/3 full.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, spices, salt, baking soda, and baking powder and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter and the sugar until fluffy, about two minutes. Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition. Add the pumpkin and combine well. Add the dry ingredients stirring until just combined.
- Coat the cinnamon chips with 2 T. flour and stir into batter. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Bake side-by-side for about one hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. (Bake mini pumpkins 25- 30 and 35-40 minutes for the mini loaves.)
- Melt in microwave at high for 1 minute; stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
Substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon plus 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves for 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
Other quick bread recipes you might like: