Cheesecake with a layer of caramel over a graham cracker crust wrapped in luscious chocolate. A perfect, irresistible Valentine’s treat for your sweetheart.
We weren’t able to stop eating these decadent little bites. So creamy, smooth and delicious. I had to get them out of the house just to stop myself from eating them all.
For the last three years I’ve made Cheesecake Pops for my neighbor for her birthday. This year I wanted to change them up by adding some graham crackers. I was looking at recipes to determine the amount of crumbs to use and stumbled on the Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake Bites at Land O Lakes Recipes. The recipe was so easy, and we liked them even better than the Cheesecake Pops (which are amazing.)
I used the watermelon knife I bought this summer to cut the cheesecake. It is extra long and serrated so I didn’t have to drag the knife through the cheesecake. I just cut straight down and pulled it straight back up and then rinsed the knife under hot water before cutting the next section. (See that missing piece of cheesecake in the picture? My husband stole that corner when I turned my back to grab the camera. Irresistible!)
This recipe is a must try. It’s an elegant dessert, that’s easy to make. I was craving them for at least a week after they were gone.
- 1 cup finely crushed graham crackers (9 graham crackers)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 20 caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons cream or half and half
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 (12-ounce) package (2 cups) real semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- 1/4 cup shortening
- *I used 12 ounces chopped Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Wafers
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 8-inch square baking pan with double thickness of aluminum foil, extending foil over ends of pan. Spray foil with no-stick cooking spray. Combine crushed graham crackers and butter in small bowl. Press onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Combine caramels and cream in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100% power) 1 minute; stir. Continue microwaving 30 seconds; stir until smooth. Pour over crust in pan. Refrigerate while preparing cream cheese mixture.
- Combine softened cream cheese and sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add egg and vanilla, beating just until combined. Stir in sour cream. Pour over caramel mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until just set 2 inches from edge of pan. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Loosely cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours. (I chilled mine overnight.) Lift cheesecake from pan using foil ends. Cut into one inch squares about 49 squares. Place squares on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze for 1 hour before dipping in to chocolate.
- Combine chocolate chips and shortening in 1-quart saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth (4 to 5 minutes). (I used a double broiler.) Dip each cheesecake square in to the chocolate; remove from the chocolate with a fork and allow excess chocolate to drip back in to the pan before placing the square back on to the parchment lined baking sheet. Let stand about 20 minutes or until chocolate is firm. Store refrigerated.
adapted from Land O Lakes
More great recipes for your Valentine:
Puff Pastry “Ravioli” Recipe with Gingersnap Mascarpone & Marionberry Sauce, Cookin’ Canuck
The Simplest Alaskan King Crab Legs and a Valentine’s Dinner Round-Up, Foodie Crush
Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta with Strawberry Coulis, Barbara Bakes
Chocolate Cheesecake Swirled Hearts & Roses Cake with Whipped Chocolate Frosting, Phemomenon
Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies, Two Peas and Their Pod
Valentine Brownies- Red Velvet Brownies With Cream Cheese Filling, Sweet Basil
Don’t miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Barbara Bakes by Email
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!