A luscious, decadent Triple Chocolate Layer Cake. The chocolate ganache dripping down the sides dresses up the cake but it’s so easy to make.
My family is crazy about this chocolate cake. It’s the cake my son requested again this year for his birthday. I’m always happy to make it for him because it’s easy to make.
It has two chocolate cake layers, chocolate ganache between the layers and dripping from the top layer. Then it’s crowned with chocolate curls.
The chocolate curls are easy to make. You just use a vegetable peeler and a chocolate bar.
Orson Gygi sells my favorite chocolate, Guittard Old Dutch Milk Chocolate Wafers, in a 5 lb. bag that’s always in my pantry. I used it to make the ganache but you could also use any of good chocolate in the baking aisle at the grocery store. Use semi-sweet if you prefer.
My son is crazy about Kroger / Smith’s Private Selection Cherry Chocolate Chip ice cream. It’s a perfect addiction to this triple chocolate layer cake.
Making a Triple Chocolate Layer Cake
If you’ve never made a layer cake, be sure and check out my Baking Tips For Layer Cakes post.
Here’s a quick video showing how to make this triple chocolate layer cake.
- 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons sugar*
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder*
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk*
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 16 oz. milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; With a mixer, beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Carefully, stir in boiling water. The batter will be very thin.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Place chocolate in a glass bowl. Heat heavy cream on medium high heat just until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and immediately pour cream over chocolate.
- Wait two minutes and then stir until chocolate is completely melted and smooth (if necessary, you can microwave on 50% briefly). Cool until ganache is thickened but still thin enough to drip down the sides of the cake.
- Place one cake layer onto a cake stand or serving plate. Spread ganache in an even layer on the first layer. Top with the second cake layer. Spread ganache in an even layer on the second layer and place dollops on the edge so the ganache drips down the sides of the cake. Decorate top of cake with chocolate curls, if desired.
Notes: *Before high altitude changes: 2 cups sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 cup milk
More chocolate cake recipes you might like:
$100 Cake, Barbara Bakes
Black Forest Cheesecake Cake, Barbara Bakes
Cherry Chocolate Cake for Two, Barbara Bakes
Chocolate Mudslide Cake, Beyond Frosting
Malted Chocolate Cake with Toasted Marshmallow Filling, Tidy Mom