An easy, delicious crockpot meal made with inexpensive chicken thighs and a simple Asian style sauce. I spiced it up with a little garlic chili sauce and served it with foolproof rice.
I adapted this recipe from the Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe on Taste and Tell, which was featured on Kalyn’s Kitchen delicious new site Slow Cooker from Scratch. A great new site for slow cooker recipes. This is a wonderful weekend night meal that comes together quickly.
I doubled Deborah’s recipe, adapted from More Make it Fast, Cook it Slow, so I would have leftovers to freeze for another day. Doubling the sauce wasn’t necessary so I decreased it to one and a half in my adapted recipe below.
I never had trouble cooking rice until I got a new stove. It’s harder to keep a pot at a gentle simmer and lately I’ve been frustrated with undercooked or overcooked, mushy rice. This foolproof method from America’s Test Kitchen cooks the rice the same way you would pasta. Just boil it in a lot of water until it’s tender and drain it.
You end up with perfectly cooked, fluffy rice and an added bonus is that it cooks in less time than the traditional pilaf style. It’s such great idea. If you have trouble cooking rice, this is the method for you.
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 cup rice*
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker. In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, chili sauce, soy sauce, ketchup and honey. Pour over the chicken and cover.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. Remove chicken, place on a plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Transfer the remaining sauce to a saucepan and reduce down over medium heat until desired consistency is reached. Serve over the chicken and garnish with fresh basil.
- Serve over rice.
- In a large pot bring 4 quarts of water to a boil. Stir in the rice and salt. Return to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender.
*Use any type of rice you'd like. White rice will take approximately 10 - 20 minutes, Brown Rice 22 - 40 minutes. I used Lundberg short grain brown rice and at my altitude it took about 40 minutes to cook.
Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken slightly adapted from Taste and Tell
Foolproof Rice America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Barbara Bakes when you shop!