Layers and layers of phyllo dough wrapped around a sweet, creamy, chocolaty Nutella cream cheese filling baked until it’s crispy, flaky, and golden brown then served with sliced strawberries and bananas, drizzled with chocolate and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
Last year I attend the Texas State Fair as a guest of the Texas State Tourism board. I met up with my sweet, virtually adopted daughter, Lorraine, Not Quite Nigella, who came all the way from Sydney, Australia to try some fun Texas State Fair food.
Our goal was to try a bite or two of all the decadent, outrageous fried food the fair had to offer. We started out with a Fletcher’s Corn Dog, then moved on to a funnel cake, deep fried grilled cheese sandwich, deep fried Oreos, deep fried spaghetti and meatballs, a deep fried Thanksgiving Dinner, and even deep fried butter. The Deep-Fried Cuban Roll won for best taste last year, but my favorite was the Awesome Deep Fried Nutella.
Awesome Deep Fried Nutella was a decadent dessert consisting of a filling of Nutella mixed with cream cheese wrapped in phyllo dough, deep fried, and then served with sliced strawberries and bananas, drizzled with chocolate, and then sprinkled with powdered sugar for a finishing touch.
I’ve been meaning to re-create this over-the-top, delicious, fun dessert at home since last year, but I really hate to fry food at home. Finally I decided there was no reason I had to fry it, and decided to create Awesome Not-Deep-Fried Nutella turnovers.
My baked version had all the crispy, flaky, decadence of the original, but without the hassle of frying. They’re easy to make, and they were still crispy and delicious several days later.
This year’s Texas State Fair is Sept. 26 – Oct. 19 in Dallas, but if you live in my neck of the woods, the Utah State Fair is open from Sept. 4 – Sept. 14. According to the Salt Lake Tribune, this year at the Utah State Fair the official food is a chicken waffle on a stick, “a deep-fried, battered and then waffle-ironed delicacy that can be dipped in maple syrup or gravy and eaten without a fork and knife.” I’ll Instagram a picture and let you know what I think.
How about you? Do you like to fry food at home? What’s your favorite fair food?
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup Nutella or other chocolate spread
- 1 roll (18 sheets) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Powdered sugar
- Sliced bananas
- Sliced strawberries
- Chocolate syrup
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and Nutella until smooth.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo on a work surface (cover other sheets with plastic wrap and a lightly damp towel). Spray sheet lightly with nonstick spray. Place second sheet on top and spray lightly with nonstick spray. Place third sheet on top and spray with nonstick spray. Cut sheets crosswise into 4 rectangles.
- Place 1 tablespoon of filling about 1 inch from the end of each rectangle. Fold the end over the filling at a 45° angle. Continue folding to form a triangle that encloses the filling until you reach the end (similar to folding a flag). Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining sheets of phyllo and filling.
- Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Serve dusted with powdered sugar, and topped with bananas, strawberries, and chocolate syrup.