Curly Rotini pasta in a lower-in-fat, higher-in-nutrition creamy pasta sauce made with butternut squash sauce instead of cream.
I was messaging with Lori, Recipe Girl, about low calorie recipes and she recommended that I visit Skinnytaste. On Skinnytaste, Gina shares lower calorie, healthy, low fat, family-friendly recipes. Her Pasta with Butternut Squash recipe caught my eye because my sweet neighbor brought me over a butternut squash from her garden the day before.
I wasn’t sure how my family would respond to a butternut squash pasta sauce, but they’re crazy about my Butternut Squash Soup, so I decided to combine the two recipes. Everyone, including me, loved the pasta. It was a wonderful creamy sauce without a drop of cream.
Gina’s cookbook, The Skinnytaste Cookbook: Light on Calories, Big on Flavor, will be released on September 30, 2014! Go ahead and pre-order it today.
Rotini Pasta in a Creamy Butternut Sauce with Chicken Sausage and Baby Spinach
- 1 ½ lb. butternut squash cut in half and seeds removed
- ½ cup water
- 1 lb ground chicken sausage
- 16 ounces Rotini pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup onions diced
- ½ cup celery diced
- ½ cup carrots diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 2 cups baby spinach roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Roast butternut squash in a foil covered baking dish with an inch of water at 350° for 45 minutes or until tender. Let cool until it’s easy to handle.
- Scrape the butternut squash from the peel and place in a blender with ½ cup water; blend until smooth.
- Brown chicken sausage in a large sauté pan. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter in the sauté pan. Sauté onions, celery, and carrots over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Stir in Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Mix in browned chicken sausage.
- Add pureed butternut squash, and reserved pasta water a little at a time to thin out the sauce to desired consistency. Mix in baby spinach and parmesan cheese. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce over pasta and toss to combine. Serve with additional parmesan cheese.