Baked banana bread donuts studded with cinnamon chips then rolled in a cinnamon sugar coating. Moist and delicious and a fun way to start the day.
Today I’m sharing a fun way I changed up my favorite banana bread recipe. It’s a recipe I’ve adapted over the years from a Cooking Light recipe. It’s fairly low in fat and sugar, but trust me you’ll never miss the extra calories.
If you dip the donuts in the cinnamon and sugar while they’re steaming hot, you don’t need to dip them in butter to get the cinnamon and sugar to stick. If the cinnamon and sugar isn’t sticking, or if you want a thicker cinnamon and sugar coating, dip the donuts in melted butter and then dip them in the cinnamon and sugar.
Hershey’s makes Cinnamon Chips, I used Merkens mini Cinnamon Baking Chips from Gygi, and King Arthur also sells mini cinnamon chips. Hershey’s Cinnamon Chips are easiest to find this time of year. If you love them like I do, you might want to stock up now. If you can’t find Cinnamon Chips, chocolate chips would be a great substitution.
Banana Bread Cinnamon Chip Donuts
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana about 3 small
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup plain low fat yogurt or low fat sour cream
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cinnamon chips
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325º. Lightly grease two 6 count donut pans with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
- Combine bananas, sugar, yogurt, butter and eggs in a large bowl; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until well blended. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; Add flour mixture to banana mixture, add cinnamon chips, stirring just until moistened.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 donut cups, filling each about ¾ full. (Use a pastry bag or plastic bag with corner cut out to make filling the cups easier.)
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While donuts are baking, in a small bowl combine sugar and cinnamon for topping.
- When donuts are done, cool for a few minutes in the pan, remove from pan and dip donut top in cinnamon sugar mixture. Cool on a wire rack.
More baked donuts recipes you might like:
Coconut Cream Mini Donuts, Barbara Bakes
Baked Lemon Donuts, Barbara Bakes
Baked Chocolate Donuts with Chocolate Glaze, Tracey’s Culinary Adventures
Lemon Cupcake Baked Donuts, Sugar & Spice & All Things Iced
Baked Pumpkin Donut Holes, Two Peas and Their Pod
Baked Nutmeg Donut Recipe with Berry Icing, Vintage Mixer