This light and fluffy Buttermilk Skillet Cornbread recipe is super easy, a bit sweet, and perfect to serve with chili, or on its own for breakfast!
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe: This super easy skillet cornbread recipe is a one-bowl wonder. It’s perfectly sweet, and delicious served with a savory meal, at a BBQ, or for breakfast!
Update: During the summer, we make this easy cornbread all the time. So I’ve updated the post with new photos and tips to perfect this recipe.
How to Make Buttermilk Cornbread
Before you get started, make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature. This will help your buttermilk cornbread come together easily.
All you need to make this cornbread batter is one bowl and a whisk.
Tip: When mixing your batter, be sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to make sure that you incorporate all the cornmeal and flour mixture into the batter.
You’ll bake this cornbread in a cast-iron skillet. This is for the best browning and crispy edges. Be sure your pan is well “seasoned”. A dry cast iron pan will cause your cornbread to stick. However, once oiled, a well-seasoned cast-iron pan will allow your cornbread to easily release from the pan when you slice it.
Cast iron heats evenly, consistently, and holds its heat. Check your cornbread at 30 minutes for doneness and bake longer if required.
If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet, you can use a baking dish to make your cornbread you just won’t get a crispy bottom.
When buying your cornmeal, make sure to buy actual “cornmeal” and NOT “cornmeal mix”. Cornmeal mix has flour already in it so it will not work for this recipe.
This cornbread is best served fresh from the oven and warm. I like to serve it with a little butter and strawberry preserves.
If you want to go savory, we love serving cornbread with chili. Especially our Instant Pot Chili from Pressure Cooking Today.
Store leftover cornbread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to four days. For longer storage, keep the cornbread in the freezer for up to six months. Defrost on the counter to serve.
More Cornbread Recipes
Try these other easy recipes with cornbread recipes next:
- Cheesy Green Chile Cornbread is a little spicy, a little sweet, and always a crowd pleaser.
- Award-winning Chicken Taco Cornbread Wedges is a family favorite.
- 3-Ingredient Instant Pot Cornbread is our go-to short-cut recipe from Pressure Cooking Today.
Buttermilk Skillet Cornbread
- 1 stick butter
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.
- Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.