Chocolate Almond Coconut Pies are a delicious, bite sized treat. They’re perfect any time of the year, but especially as a holiday dessert! If you like Almond Joy candy bars, you’ll love this mini coconut pies recipe.
I’ve teamed up with Athens Foods for today’s post. These luscious, adorable mini pie bites are super easy to make. They’re perfect when you’re short on time, or if you dread making pie crust.
Making Bite Sized Chocolate Almond Coconut Pies
Athens pre-made, recipe-ready Mini Fillo Shells are the “crust” for these mini pies. You’ll find the Mini Fillo Shells in the freezer section at the supermarket. The crisp and flaky shells come in little plastic trays so the shells don’t get crushed or broken.
The recipe also uses cream of coconut – not to be confused with coconut milk. You’ll find cream of coconut in the drink-mix section at the supermarket. Most commonly used for making drinks such as piña coladas, the cream of coconut gives these coconut pie bites even more great coconut flavor.
To dress up the mini coconut pies for a party, I added a dollop of rich chocolate ganache on top. The bites are finished with a sprinkle of toasted coconut and almonds.
They’re a great mix of crunchy and creamy. And the combo of coconut, chocolate and almond is a classic.
This Chocolate Almond Coconut Pies recipe is easy-to-make, and the coconut pies are easy for your guests to eat, and easy for you to serve.
Serving Suggestions for Bite Sized Coconut Pies
The bite sized Chocolate Almond Coconut Pies would be the perfect addition to a pie buffet for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years Eve. Serve them along side Chocolate Covered Frozen Key Lime Pie Bites, Cranberry Pecan Pie Bites, and Dutch Caramel Apple Pie Bites and wow your guests.
Chocolate Almond Coconut Pie Bites
- 2 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Mini Fillo Shells
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- pinch of saslt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup cream of coconut
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2/3 cups flaked sweetened coconut, toasted, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 ounces semi-sweet or milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted and slightly crushed
- Place Mini Fillo Shells on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in milk and cream of coconut until the sugar is dissolve. Whisk in egg yolk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until pudding comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat.
- Gently stir in butter until melted. Stir in 1/2 cup toasted coconut and vanilla.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the 30 Mini Fillo Shells.
- In a microwave safe dish, heat cream on 50% power until it just starts to boil. Stir in chocolate until melted and smooth. If necessary, microwave in 20-second intervals on 50% power until melted and smooth.
- Pour a small amount of melted chocolate on top of each mini pie. Sprinkle with remaining toasted coconut and almonds. Refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
Note: To toast almonds and coconut: Preheat oven to 325°F. Spread coconut in a thin layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until coconut starts to brown. Repeat with almonds.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Athens Foods, but all opinions expressed are always my own.