An easy-to-make, creamy no-bake Oreo cheesecake filling sandwiched between rich, moist chocolate cake dripping with a milk chocolate ganache.
My twins turned 18 years old recently. They’re my youngest and I have mixed emotions about this birthday. Part of me can’t believe how fast 18 years flew by; and I miss all the sweet moments you only experience when your kids are little. Of course, the other part of me looks forward to all the adventures yet to come in my and their lives.
When I asked Cole what kind of birthday cake he wanted this year, he said he really like the Chocolate Oreo Construction Cake I baked for my grandson’s birthday last year.
Since he’s a little too old for a construction cake, I change it in to a triple layer cake with a luscious no-bake Oreo Cheesecake layer in the middle. I also changed up the cake recipe and used an Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake recipe that is eggless and bakes up beautifully flat, even, layers.
The cake looks impressive, but it really is easy-to-make. I baked the cake layers about a week ahead of time and put them in the freezer until the morning of the party.
The cake was a big hit at the party. I’m sure it would be a bit hit at your house too.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used KA Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups hot water*
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
No-Baked Oreo Cheesecake Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 package (8 oz.) Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 12 Oreo Cookies, coarsely crushed
- 16 oz. milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray two 9x2 inch round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray with flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and whisk just until combine.
- Divide batter between pans. Bake 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cakes in the pans on a rack for 15 minutes, then invert them onto the rack. Leave cakes upside down (this flattens domed cakes) to cool completely.
No-Baked Oreo Cheesecake Filling
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream until it forms soft peaks.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until blended and smooth. Gently stir in whipped cream and crushed cookies.
- Place half of the chocolate in a mixing bowl. Heat heavy cream on medium high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and immediately pour cream over chocolate and stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add remaining chocolate and stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Cool until ganache is thickened but still thin enough to drip down the sides of the cake. (I cooled mine in the fridge for over an hour.)
- When the cake layers are cool and ganache has thickened, evenly spread filling on bottom layer, carefully stack the second layer on top of filling.
- Spoon chocolate ganache on top of the cake, spreading to edges and letting the ganache drip down the sides. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
*I made the following high altitude adjustments: Decreased the sugar by 2 tablespoons, used 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda and 2 1/4 cup hot water.