A rich, chewy, brownie-like chocolate Nutella cookie with a melted, gooey caramel in the middle. An irresistible cookie I created for World Nutella Day.
I couldn’t let World Nutella Day pass without whipping up something delicious to celebrate, and since it falls on Super Bowl Sunday I’ll have lots of help gobbling up this year’s hazelnut treat. World Nutella Day is hosted by Ms Adventures in Italy and Bleeding Espresso.
My daughter is in love with the Chewy Caramel Stuffed Sugar Cookies I made last year for 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies. For World Nutella Day I combined that recipe with another of our favorite cookies, Chocolate Caramel Rolo Cookies, and added Nutella for an extra layer of rich decadence.
I struggle with the filled caramel cookies leaking caramel out the bottom of the cookie. So this time I used frozen caramels which helped. My daughter is better at making filled caramel cookies than I am. She adds a bit of dough on to the bottom of each cookie after she’s hidden the caramel inside.
Chocolate Nutella Caramel Filled Cookies
- 2 ½ cups flour all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup Nutella
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 36 caramels unwrapped and frozen
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar for rolling optional
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa and baking soda.
- In large mixing bowl, beat sugar, brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in Nutella, eggs and vanilla until well combined. Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour so the dough is easier to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Shape a tablespoon of dough into a ball, press a caramel into the center of each ball and reshape in to a ball. Roll in granulated sugar and place on a silpat or parchment lined cookie sheets, then place the cookie sheet in the freezer for 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set and slightly cracked. Remove from oven and cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Don't overbake.
This is my third year celebrating World Nutella Day. Last year I made Peanut Butter Nutella Cookie Cups, and two years ago we devoured World Nutella Day Candy Bar Cookies. This year you can keep up with all the World Nutella Day fun on Facebook (World Nutella Day Fan Page on Facebook) and Twitter hashtag #nutelladay.
I can’t wait to make these! I rarely make filled cookies, but the combo of chocolate, Nutella and caramel sounds pretty irresistible 🙂
My goodness, I have to make these also.
My daughter is our resident Nuttela lover. She would very much enjoy the luscious caramel centers of these irresistible Nutella cookies! Lovely cookies!
Amazing! I would love to eat them all.
Barbara, what chocolate heaven! And I saw those Australian scones. Woman, I have to get out of here or I’m going to gain weight! LOL!
Your site is truly amazing!
Seriously? I missed the World Nutella Day… 🙁 Oh well, in my books it’s Nutella Day every day anyways… 😛
Dang, I missed World Nutella day?!? I guess I will just have to make YOUR cookies:)
Michelle | Bleeding Espresso
Awesome awesome awesome! Thanks so much for contributing these to WND 🙂
Your cookies look so good! I love the surprise filling. 🙂
I love the combination of nutella and caramel!
These look amazing Barbara! Caramel and nutella… heaven!
Claire @ Claire K Creations
Oh boy these look good. How did I not know about nutella day?!
Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl
Yep, I’m adding these to my “to bake asap” list. Fabulous!
Wow!! Barbara, these cookies looks incredible. I absolutely adore nutella! I never thought of freezing the caramels before stuffing them in the cookie. that is brilliant. 🙂
a spoonful of yumm
these cookies are definitely a bite of heaven 😉