I came back from my trip to Alaska with 30 pounds of halibut! We had fun catching it, but it might have been even more fun when we got back to my brother’s house and he fried it up for us. My brother coats it in Panko Bread Crumbs, so the fish is extra crispy and delicious.
When we got home from Alaska, I fried up another batch with some chips and served it with my favorite tartar sauce from Market Street Grill. Sometimes I think I go to Market Street for the halibut just so I can eat the tartar sauce. (It’s pretty good as a dip for the fries too!)
A big thank you to everyone who wished us a wonderful vacation. An even bigger thank you to my sweet (older) brother and his wonderful wife for their hospitality. It was a great trip and so nice to spend time with family. I wish they weren’t so far away.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- Kosher salt
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 3 pounds halibut, cut into cubes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced dill pickle or dill relish
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 2 tablespoons caper juice
- juice of medium lemon
- teaspoon white pepper
- teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce buttermilk
- Peel and cut potatoes into 1/4 by 1/4-inch thick fries. Place fries in a large bowl of cold water.
- Heat oil in a large, straight sided pan or deep fryer to 325º. Drain fries in batches on paper towels.
- Fry each batch for 3 to 4 minutes until pale blonde and remove to a sheet pan lined with paper towels.
- Just before serving, increase the heat of the oil to 375º and fry the potatoes again, in batches, until golden brown. Remove to a sheet pan lined with paper towels and season with kosher salt.
- Heat oil to 360º. Whisk together the flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a pie plate. Dredge halibut in flour, shake off excess then dip in the eggs, and then coat evenly with Panko.
- Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
- Serve with Chips and Tartar Sauce.
- Combine all ingredients and refrigerate 30 minutes.