The Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake is a scrumptious chocolate cake. It’s chocolately, rich, moist, and delicious. Perfect for beginners. It’s nearly as easy to make as a box cake and it tastes so much better than a cake mix cake. You’ll wonder why you haven’t made it before. I know I did.
Some of the best recipes are on the back of boxes. Quaker has a great oatmeal cookie recipe on the back of their box. Libby’s has their famous pumpkin pie recipe on the back of their can. So of course you’d expect Hershey’s to have a fabulous chocolate cake recipe on the back of their box and they do.
In my Queso Bacon Burger post, I mentioned I was hosting a BBQ/birthday party, and every birthday party needs a perfect birthday cake. I needed two cakes for our crowd. I made a Tropical Carrot Cake, and for those who don’t like veggies in their cake, I decided to make chocolate cake. But not just any chocolate cake, the Hershey’s “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Cake that I’ve seen posted dozens of times with rave reviews.
How to Make the Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake
I was a bit surprised when I read the instructions. After the batter is mixed, you add 1 cup of boiling water, which creates a really runny batter. After baking though, it has a perfect texture—not too heavy and not too light. The layers bake up flat and even, so it’s an easy cake to layer.
If you haven’t baked very many layers cakes before, be sure and check out my Baking Tips For Layer Cakes post.
I made a couple of high altitude changes to the recipe because cakes can be temperamental at my altitude (5,000 ft). Generally, I use this great guide from Bonnie, City Home / Country Home, to modify recipes for high altitude. Just a few simple tweaks can make a big difference when baking cakes at altitude.
Easy Cake Decoration
After baking and frosting, the cake is decorated simply with chocolate curls. The chocolate curls are easy to make. You just use a vegetable peeler and a chocolate bar. You could also decorate the cake with sprinkles if you prefer.
The cake got great reviews from my crowd at the party! I’ve made this back-of-the-box cake many times since that party. In fact, this Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake has become my go-to chocolate cake whenever I want to make a quick homemade cake. I hope you’ll give it a try too!
Do you have a favorite recipe you got from the back of a box?
Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake and Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Frosting
- 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons sugar*
- 1-¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup Hershey's cocoa
- 1-¼ teaspoons baking powder*
- 1-¼ teaspoons baking soda*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk*
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Frosting:
- ½ cup 1 stick butter or margarine
- ⅔ cup Hershey's Cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; With a mixer, beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Carefully, stir in boiling water. The batter will be very thin. Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with chocolate frosting.
- *Before high altitude changes: 2 cups sugar, 1-½ teaspoons baking powder, 1-½ teaspoons baking soda, 1 cup milk
- Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate FrostingMelt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
More Chocolate Cake Recipes You Might Like:
If you love chocolate and caramel, you’ll want to make my Chocolate Dulce De Leche Triple Layer Cake. If you prefer a cake with a chocolate ganache (a thick, rich chocolate frosting), you’ll want to make my Triple Chocolate Layer Cake. If you’re following a keto diet, check out this Keto Sugar-Free Mini German Chocolate Cake from All Day I Dream About Food. Or, perhaps you’re looking for an easy one bowl chocolate cake recipe or a Chocolate Mug Cake for Two.