These Chocolate Marshmallow Surprise Cookies have a fudgy, brownie-like cookie base topped with a gooey, baked marshmallow that’s covered with a rich chocolate icing. An irresistible cookie that’s sure to fix any chocolate craving.
The second recipe I’ve made from my Martha Stewart Cookies cookbook are the Surprise Cookies, chocolate cookies with a melted marshmallow under a fudgy frosting. These cookies were absolutely delicious and were a big hit at the party I took them too.
I reduced the cook time for the cookie base so that the cookie is super tender and fudgy. If you want a sturdier, crunchy cookie, increase the cook time.
If you’re a chocolate cookie lover, you’re going to love this cookie.
Chocolate Marshmallow Surprise Cookies
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 large marshmallows cut in half horizontally
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
- ¼ cup plus 1 ½ t. cocoa powder
- ¼ cup plus 2 T. milk
- ¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, milk, and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add reserved flour mixture; mix on low speed until combined.
- Using a tablespoon or #40 scoop, drop dough onto ungreased baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies begin to spread and become firm, about 7 minutes.
- Remove baking sheets from oven, and place a marshmallow, cut-side down, in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Return to oven, and continue baking until marshmallows begins to melt, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare Chocolate Frosting: In a large mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, cocoa and melted butter. Add milk and vanilla, and beat until smooth.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of frosting over each marshmallow, starting in the center and continuing outward until marshmallow is covered.
More chocolate cookies you might like:
Black Forest Crinkle Cookies, Barbara Bakes
Chocolate Caramel Rolo Cookies, Barbara Bakes
Chocolate Snickers Cookies, Barbara Bakes
Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies, Crazy for Crust
DoubleTree Cookie Recipe, The Little Kitchen
Copycat Starbucks Flourless Chewy Chocolate Cookie, A Dash of Sanity