If you love pumpkin chocolate chip bread, you’ll love these lighter, fluffier, quicker-cooking pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.
One of my favorite pumpkin treats is pumpkin chocolate chip bread. These muffins have less sugar, less fat, are made with whole wheat flour, and bake in about ⅓ of the time of pumpkin chocolate chip bread. Making them a better choice for breakfast.
I love a streusel topping and couldn’t resist adding an almond streusel topping. My sons quickly gobble up these muffins, but one son thought they didn’t need the streusel topping. So feel free to omit it if you’d rather.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ½ cup low fat sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds slightly crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray, or line with paper muffin liners.
- Prepare streusel topping: In a small bowl, whisk together 4 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Add 2 teaspoons oil and mix together until you have a sandy texture. Mix in almonds; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar and melted butter; add sour cream, eggs, and vanilla and beat at medium speed until well blended.
- Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly between 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle muffins with streusel topping.
- Bake 20 to 25 min, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- When muffins are done, cool for a few minutes in the muffin pan before removing to cool on a wire rack.
Annamaria @ Bakewell Junction
These muffins look delicious. I have some more pumpkin puree I need to use and these would be the perfect recipe to try. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
These look heavenly — I can’t imagine a better breakfast treat! Happy Thanksgiving Barbara <3
Jessica @ Sweetest Menu
Muffins are irresistible to me! Especially ones with streusel topping! Loving that this are a touch healthier!
Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella
Snap mum! I made a pumpkin and chocolate dessert. I have never tried that combo before but they go so well. I should try these next 😀 xxx
They’re a perfect match. Enjoy!
2 Sisters Recipes by anna and liz
We love your pumpkin muffins recipe, and we’re craving for them now. LOve the photos, they are gorgeous!
What a perfect treat for a quick Thanksgiving breakfast. I like the idea of using whole wheat pastry flour too-especially since I have some in the freezer. 🙂
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Barbara!
A delicious autumn treat!
These muffins would be so nice with a cup of tea! I would really enjoy them!
I had these on the mind too because I just posted a recipe for the same thing. Love the topping you included. Have a great thanksgiving!