One of my favorite no carb dishes is roasted spaghetti squash. I’ve tried steaming it and microwaving it, but the recipe in Everyday Foods is the best! The problem I’ve had in the past with spaghetti squash was it was always too crunchy, but not with roasting, it turns out perfect. Top it with a quick healthy pasta sauce, add a tossed salad and you have a healthy, delicious, low calorie meal.
- 1 spaghetti squash (2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, slivered
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. With a fork, prick squash in several places. Place on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until soft to the touch, about 1 hour.
- When cool enough to handle, halve squash crosswise. Scoop out seeds; discard. Scrape flesh into strands. (Drain if necessary)
- In a large skillet, heat oil over low heat. Add garlic; cook until fragrant and just starting to color, about 5 minutes. Add squash; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing frequently, until squash is very hot, about 5 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166
This pasta sauce is a quicker version of the Cook’s Illustrated Simple Tomato Sauce. I think it’s great!
- 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes in rich puree (I love this S&W brand)
- 1 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. dried basil
- 1/4 t. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 t. salt
- Heat all ingredients in a sauce pan on medium heat until hot.