Crepes are thin little French pancakes that are actually easy to make. My family is crazy about Strawberry Crepes filled with strawberries and topped with fresh, lightly sweetened whipped cream. This Easy Strawberry Crepes Recipe is one your family will love too.
At our house, everyone gets to choose what they want me to cook them for breakfast on their birthday. They almost always choose strawberry crepes. Crepes may look difficult to make, but once you’ve made one or two crepes you’ll get the hang of how to rotate the pan to spread the batter.
For my crepe loving family I usually make a triple batch. My husband helps me make them and we use two pans so we can make them twice as fast.
I use frozen strawberries as a base to create a luscious, juicy sauce. I use to mash up half of the fresh strawberries, but once when I didn’t have enough strawberries I used frozen thawed strawberries instead.
The sauce was so much better starting with the juicy, soft frozen strawberries that I’ve been making them that way ever since.
I puree the thawed strawberries to make a sweet, juicy sauce and then stir in the fresh berries. It’s a perfect combination. You get the great texture from the fresh berries and an easy to make sauce from the frozen berries.
I like to put a big stack of crepes on the table and let everyone make themselves as many crepes as they want, just the way they want them.
How do you like your crepes?
- 2 cups frozen sliced strawberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, optional
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Gently puree thawed strawberries. (I usually thaw them overnight in the refrigerator and then use an immersion blender to puree them in the bowl, but you can also thaw them in the microwave.) Stir in sugar, orange zest if using, and fresh sliced strawberries. Serve strawberry filling at room temperature.
- Add ingredients to blender jar in the order listed, cover and blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate overnight or for 1 hour prior to cooking. (Or if you'd rather, you can strain out any lumps and use immediately.)
- Heat an 8-inch skillet or crepe pan over medium heat and lightly coat with butter or cooking spray. For each crepe, pour 1/4 cup batter into the center of the skillet and immediately rotate the pan until the batter covers the bottom of the skillet in a thin layer. Cook until light brown and the top begins to dry out, approximately 1 minute. Flip and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Repeating with remaining batter. Stack completed crepes on a plate. (If your crepes are sticking together, put wax paper between the crepes.) You can put crepes in a 200º oven to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Fill each crepe with strawberry filling and roll up. Serve with whipped cream.