Baked French Toast is one of my favorite recipes on my blog. I make it nearly every weekend in the summer when I can buy fabulous bread and gorgeous fruits at the Farmer’s Market. It’s so easy to change up with whatever fruit is in season. But as much as I loved all the others, this Strawberry Rhubarb Baked French Toast is my new favorite. I love the sweet tart combination of strawberries and rhubarb with just a hint of orange.
I also made one other change in the recipe. I toasted the bread for 20 minutes before soaking it in the egg mixture overnight. I decided if toasting the bread before making stuffing gives it a better texture, then toasting the French toast bread would probably do the same thing. I thought it made a huge difference. Even the bread on the bottom near the fruit juices was firmer.
With this Baked French Toast recipe it is best to use a dense, chewy bread. I bought a loaf of Cinnamon Burst Bread from Great Harvest Bread Company. It’s a big round 1 ½ pound loaf studded with cinnamon chips and it makes fabulous French toast. Of course, if you aren’t lucky enough to have a Great Harvest store near you, feel free to substitute any dense, chewy bread that you love.
If you haven’t cooked with rhubarb before, it’s very easy to use. You just wash it, cut it into bites size chucks and add plenty of sugar to it because it’s very tart. It pairs really nicely with strawberries because of the contrasting sweet and tart flavors.
Give this one a try while there’s still rhubarb at the market.
Strawberry Rhubarb Baked French Toast
- 1 loaf Cinnamon Burst Bread cubed *
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup agave can substitute ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 cups rhubarb chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups strawberries hulled and halved
- ¼ cups butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spread bread evenly into a jelly roll pan and toast for 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl mix eggs, half-and-half and vanilla. Pour egg mixture evenly over cooled toasted bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine agave, cornstarch, and orange zest, fold in rhubarb and strawberries. Pour into a greased 13"x9" baking pan.
- Place the chilled bread mixture on top of the fruit mixture. Drizzle the butter over the bread.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cover with foil if the top is getting too brown.
More great Strawberry Rhubarb recipes you might like:
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, Two Peas and Their Pod
Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler, Hooiser Homemade
Strawberry Rhubarb Bars, The Swans
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote, Gina’s Skinny Recipes
Strawberry Rhubarb Preserves, Tracey’s Culinary Adventures