Braised Beef Short Ribs

Braised Beef Short Ribs Barbara Bakes

Beef Short Ribs were on sale this week at my favorite grocery store. I’d never cooked them before so of course, I went on an Internet search for a fabulous recipe. There were several short rib recipes that sounded great, but Elise, at Simply Recipes, raved about her father’s Braised Beef Short Ribs. Now I’m going to rave about them too!

These are the most tender, flavorful short ribs I’ve ever tasted. My husband could not find enough ways to say how much he loved these succulent, fall-off-the-bone tender ribs. I served the short ribs with one of our favorite sides dishes, Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes.

The ribs are not hard to make, but are time consuming. On day one you brown the ribs, sauté the vegetables, and braise the ribs, covered, in the oven for several hours. Then the ribs need to be refrigerated overnight. The next day, once the fat is removed, you cook the ribs again on the stove for another hour until the sauce is reduced to a thick, delicious, flavorful glaze. Definitely time consuming, but oh so worth it!

Visit Simply Recipes for the recipe and to see Elise’s mouthwatering rib picture, and while you’re there check out more of her simply delicious recipes!

Comments

1. Jamie says

I've never had short ribs but man do I want to make them now. This looks absolutely delicious. Next time they are on sale at my grocery store, I'm going to give this recipe a try. Thank you for sharing. And those potatoes look awesome too!

2. Cristie says

OH, my what a wonderful looking dinner! Everything about this looks inviting. I've been away too long . . .

3. vickys says

oooh you;ve got me salivating at 10.30pm! I love the idea of braised short ribs. I would probably hve to use pork though as we don't cook beef at home. MMM.

4. A cupcake or two says

Barbara what a fantastic dish. I like slow cooked meals. This would go along way for my family and I. I'll definately have to try this recipe.

5. Holly says

Yummmm-o!! Comfort food:) I am new to your blog but I think I'll be returning;) lol Come by and check out our new food blog-http://thepepperedpantry.blogspot.com/

6. Jennifer says

You know what? My hubby is such a rb fan that I really need to spend the extra time on a reicpe like this. By the way, TangledNoodle and I are starting eatingyourwords10 so consider entering-so much fun!

7. Amanda says

Wow sounds wonderful! I've only made beef short ribs a couple of times, they are always so fatty :-p These don't look that way though!

8. Pam says

This looks and sounds incredibly delicious! I have not cooked beef short ribs in a long time so this inspires me. The potatoes sound like an excellent side dish! Thanks!

9. Barbara says

Short ribs are such a great chilly weather dish! I've only made them a couple times, but they never turned out as good as these! And I'm loving the mashed potatoes. Did I see bacon there??? Yum.

10. Michelle says

I love the braise and I especially like to braise in my Tangine! But my husband hates my tangine…how in the world can you hate a cooking pot! LOL!

11. Cinnamon-Girl says

These look excellent! Love that crispy char color on them – that's my favorite part. The potatoes sound real yummy too.

12. Katy ~ says

Barbara, Barbara, it is very naughty of you to tease with such an irresistible photo of these gorgeous and mouthwatering recipes! Oh my. I would be licking my fingers, smacking my lips, and licking my plate!

13. Mags says

I have never made beef short ribs. I'm one of those who is scared that I'll ruin a cut of beef by not knowing what to do. This looks like something I could handle though…and it definitely looks delicious.

14. Daniela says

Look favoloso, per questo piatto, quando vengo a visitarti trovo sempre ricette molto interessanti e ricche di sapore. un abbraccio Daniela.

15. The Cooking Ninja says

Funnily, I was craving for beef ribs this afternoon. Your dish looks fantastically yummy. :)

16. Heavenly Housewife says

Mmm… i feel like i can taste this. It looks so yummy, sticky and deish!
    Have a fab weekend daaaaaahling!
    *kisses* HH

17. Nutmeg Nanny says

These look awesome! I love short ribs. My dad does a Korean marinade on his. I would love to try this recipe just to switch it up a bit…yum!

18. Natashya KitchenPuppies says

I have just turned into a complete carnivore and lept at the screen with teeth bared. The short ribs look so perfect! I have never seen any look so good as yours.

19. Cathy says

They may take some time to prepare but I'm thinking about all the time I will have to enjoy that wonderful aroma of the simmering short ribs. I haven't made them in ages and it looks like that's what we're going to have this weekeknd. Thanks, Barbara.

20. tasteofbeirut says

I would love these even though I am not that crazy about ribs (too much of a caveman meal for me)
    I like all the steps, it ensures the best possible result, don't you think?

21. Memória says

I've never made braised ribs either. These ribs looks amazing, moist, and tender! They look so great that I forgot to write to you in Spanish! LOL! ¡QUÉ RICO!

22. Peggy says

Barbara these ribs look delicious. My neighbor makes the best ribs. She cooks them a long time. Every time I try to make shortribs, they are chewy. I need to try your recipe! Hope you are having a good week so far.

23. Megan says

OMGoodness, this looks awesome! I want to come to your house for dinner!
    Time consuming but I may have to give these a try. Sounds like weekend food to me!
    BTW-Twitter and I have our issues again. See ya there soon.

24. Stephanie Savors the Moment says

Short ribs are my favorite thing in the world to eat & these look delicious! You absolutely have to make them the day before, they are soooo much better that way. Those Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes sound divine! I am a big fan & just posted a recipe for Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Canapes on my blog – stop by & check 'em out! Thanks for sharing this deliciousness:)

25. Asha @ FSK says

I love short ribs!! I cook them in the slow cooker.. they come out so tender and mouthwatering delicate! :))

26. Lynda says

Wow, the ribs and potatoes look amazing Barbara!What a delicious meal- I think I'm actually drooling. :)
    Elsie does have a delicious site, doesn't she.

27. Nancy Baggett (tweetsontreats) says

Ohy my, they do look good. At this moment I'm so glad I have some good left-over beef pot roast for dinner. Otherwise I would not be able to bear my cravings for your recipe.

28. Cookin' Canuck says

Those ribs sounds fantastic! And I'll bet they were even better paired with those mashed potatoes.

29. Mimi says

I want to eat dinner at your house. Those short ribs look incredible and who wouldn't want caramelized onion mash potatoes. Yum!
    Mimi

30. Gera @ SweetsFoodsBlog says

These shorts ribs look outstanding and the caramelized onions with mashed potatoes are a classic that never fail in my kitchen :)

Have a great week,
    Gera

31. Bridgett says

Oh wow, just look at the gorgeous color on the short ribs. They look amazing and the mashed potatoes are to die for. What a delicious meal.