This is the best easy chicken tortellini soup recipe to serve your family or a crowd. A fast 30-minute, one-pot dinner for a chilly night that starts with pre-cooked chicken and frozen tortellini.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe: This is a super simple soup that’s high on flavor. It’s a family favorite that takes one pot and less than 30 minutes to make. Plus you can make a big batch!
How to Make Chicken Tortellini Soup
This soup is straightforward and simple which is why we love it. It comes together quickly, so I recommend having all your ingredients measured out and ready to go. This will allow you to follow all the steps seamlessly as you move through them.
You’ll need one large stockpot to make your soup, as well as a wooden spoon for stirring and a ladle for serving.
You can find tortellini in the freezer aisle or in the refrigerated section where they have cream cheese, cheeses, etc. Feel free to use your favorite flavor of tortellini.
If you have leftover cooked chicken, this is a great way to repurpose it. Otherwise, you can quickly cook two chicken breasts for this recipe (try this fast pressure cooker method if your chicken is frozen).
Chicken is easiest to shred when it is warm. You can also get a rotisserie chicken at your grocery store and slice what you need and shred it.
For another time-saving ingredient, buy pre-shredded carrots. Otherwise, shred large carrots on a box grater.
I recommend using frozen peas over canned, as canned peas will be softer and mushier when cooked. They’re also not as pretty and bright green as frozen peas.
As soon as this soup is hot, it’s ready to serve. Simply ladle it into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan if you like. On the side, we like to serve all soups with fluffy homemade rolls.
Tip: For an added touch, warm your bowl before serving the soup. Either pop them in a warming drawer or run the bowls under hot water for a few minutes. Dry them off before serving.
Store leftover chicken tortellini soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for two to three days.
To serve leftovers, reheat in a pot on the stove. Or scoop into bowls and microwave until the desired temperature is reached.
More Easy Soup Recipes
If your family loves soup for dinner as much as mine, try these other easy and hearty recipes next:
- Baked Potato Soup is super creamy and satisfying, topped with melty cheese and crispy bacon.
- The BEST Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup from Pressure Cooking Today is our go-to recipe for a warm-me-up noodle soup.
- Easy Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup is a light and healthy soup with shredded chicken and white rice.
Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 8 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- ½ c. shredded carrots
- 16 oz package frozen cheese tortellini I used tri colored
- ½ cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- In a large pot, heat stock, onion powder, garlic powder, and parsley until boiling.
- Add chicken and shredded carrots.
- When carrots are tender add tortellini. Cook tortellini according to time of package instructions.
- Add frozen peas. When peas are warm, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with grated cheese on top.