This easy Chocolate Pudding Cake is made in your slow cooker for a simple, decadent, hands-off recipe that always delights chocolate lovers.
It’s filled with easy-to-make slow cooker recipes that your family will love. If you’re a slow cooker fan, you’ll want to add this cookbook to your collection.
She calls the recipe Chocolate Mud Cake in the cookbook, but I’ve always heard it called Chocolate Pudding Cake.
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Recipe: the recipe creates a chocolate fudge sauce underneath a rich chocolate cake while it “bakes” in a slow cooker! It’s hands-off and super easy to make.
How to Make Chocolate Pudding Cake
All you need to make this simple chocolate cake is a slow cooker and a mixing bowl and spoon. The cake cooks slowly and separates into a thick chocolate pudding on the bottom and a gooey cake on top.
To make this recipe, you’ll start by mixing a simple chocolate cake batter in a bowl. Pour this into your slow cooker. Then layer on chocolate chips, brown sugar, and cocoa powder.
Finally, you’ll pour in hot water.
Important: Do not stir the cake once you add the hot water! This is the key to the perfect thick and creamy texture!
How Long To Cook Cake in the Slow Cooker
The instructions say to cook the cake for 2-3 hours on high. I recommend cooking for a full three hours.
I found that after 2 hours, the mixture was slightly baked on top but still a very runny liquid underneath. 3 hours gives you a gooey mud cake. The surface of the cake will be soft-baked and look like cooled lava. Underneath, the mixture will be thickened and soft.
How to Serve Chocolate Pudding Cake
The best way to serve this creamy, soft cake is with a big spoon. It won’t hold its shape like a traditional cake. So, you’ll want to serve it in bowls or mugs.
Serve it warm straight from the slow cooker. For a nice contrast, add a scoop of melty vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. If you let the cake cool, it will firm up. If you prefer that texture, feel free to serve it at room temperature!
Finally, if you have leftover pudding cake, store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container for three to four days.
To serve leftovers, microwave each serving for 20 seconds. Add 5-second intervals as needed to reach your desired temperature.
More Chocolate Dessert Recipes
- Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake
- Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake with Maraschino Cherry Filling is a stunning layered cake with juicy red cherries throughout.
- Chocolate Cake with an Oreo Cheesecake Filling is sweet, tangy and full of crunch from everyone’s favorite sandwich cookies!
Chocolate Pudding Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk or semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cups brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 ½ cups hot water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, ½ cup cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, buttermilk, water, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Pour the batter into a 6- to 8-quart slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips, brown sugar, and remaining ¼ cup cocoa powder over the top of the cake batter.
- Pour the hot water over the cake. (Do not stir.)
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
- Serve warm. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.