A crisp cinnamon-sugar shell filled with a light and airy cinnamon whipped cream. If you’re a churro lover, you’ll love these baked not fried Churro cream puffs.
This Churro Cream Puff recipe is one of the fun and fabulous cream puff recipes in cream puff and eclair cookbook, Simply Sweet Dream Puffs!
A favorite Disneyland memory for my family is eating hot churros from a cart on the boardwalk near Splash Mountain. Now whenever we visit Disneyland we have to get a churro.
Did you know you make Churros from the same paté a choux dough you use to make cream puffs? Instead of baking the dough, you deep fry it. And if you deep fry it, you won’t have a hollow center that you can fill with luscious cinnamon whipped cream.
You don’t have to use a piping bag to fill cream puffs, but don’t be intimidated if you want to give piping a try. I like to use disposable piping bags, but you could use a Ziploc bag too.
Just cut off the tip of the bag and insert a piping tip. Push a little bit of the bag down in to the tip so the cream doesn’t start flowing until you’re ready. Put the bag inside a tall mug or small pitcher. Fold the bag over the edge of the mug and fill it with the whipped cream. Straighten out the bag and twist it closed and you’re ready to pipe.
If you’re don’t want to pipe the filling, you can just cut the shells in half and pipe or spoon the cinnamon whipped cream in to the shell.
Eclairs are more commonly filled and cream puffs generally are cut in half. But there aren’t any hard and fast rules. Just have fun making them however you want.
You can download Simply Sweet Dream Puffs from Amazon. Amazon has a Kindle app that you can use to read e-books on almost any device, including laptops and desktop computers. You can pre-order the e-book and it will download to your Kindle app on October 6, 2015, or just wait until October 6th and download it then.
Visit my How to Make Cream Puffs post for a Video and Easy Step by Step Photos and Instructions on how to make beautiful cream puff shells.
I’ll be sharing this recipe on The Place on Friday, October 9, 2015. It’s on Fox 13 at 1:00 p.m. if you live in Utah tune-in and check it out. Wish me luck!
Cream puff recipes on Barbara Bakes:
- Candy Corn Cream Puffs – a fun Halloween cream puff.
- Raspberry Cheesecake Cream Puffs – filled with a no-bake raspberry cheesecake filling and drizzled with a tart triple berry icing.
Churro Cream Puffs
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- Pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 16 Cream Puff Shells*
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Microwave honey in a small microwave-safe bowl about 20 seconds, or until it starts to boil. Brush tops of cream puffs with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place cream puffs in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream and salt at medium speed until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and cinnamon, and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon whipped cream into a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip. Pierce the side of each cream puff with a small knife to create a hole. Insert the pastry tip into the hole and fill with cinnamon whipped cream.