Are you tired of the same old mundane breakfast routines? Do you crave a morning meal that’s not only scrumptious but also brings a touch of excitement to your taste buds? Well, dear breakfast enthusiasts, look no further because Easy French Toast Casserole will elevate your mornings to a whole new level of deliciousness!
With just a handful of easily accessible ingredients and a simple preparation process, this French toast casserole is as easy to make as it is delightful to eat. Plus, it can be customized to suit your preferences, allowing you to add your favorite toppings or savor it as is – a true breakfast canvas waiting for your creative touch.
Easy French Toast Casserole
People absolutely adore French toast casserole for a variety of mouthwatering reasons! Let me break it down for you:
- Irresistible Flavor: The combination of sweetened custard-soaked bread with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg creates a flavor explosion that is simply irresistible. Each bite is a delightful balance of sweetness and warmth that leaves taste buds singing with joy.
- Comfort Food Magic: There’s something undeniably comforting about a warm, baked casserole that fills your home with the aroma of cinnamon and vanilla. It’s like a big, cozy hug on a plate, perfect for starting your day with a smile.
- Ease of Preparation: As much as people love to indulge in delicious dishes, they also appreciate convenience. French toast casserole is a fantastic option because it’s easy to prepare. You can assemble it the night before and simply pop it in the oven the next morning, making it ideal for busy mornings or entertaining guests.
- Versatility: This dish is a blank canvas for culinary creativity. You can personalize it by adding your favorite toppings like fresh berries, sliced bananas, or a dusting of powdered sugar. It can be tailored to your liking, making each casserole unique and suited to your preferences.
- Perfect for Sharing: French toast casserole is an excellent dish for gatherings and family brunches. Its generous size allows everyone to enjoy a hearty and delicious breakfast together, fostering a sense of togetherness and joy.
- Bread: sourdough, brioche or challah
- Heavy cream
- Maple syrup
Keep scrolling to find a full, printable recipe with a detailed ingredient list.
- Prepare and Grease: Butter a 9 x 13 bake dish. Set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together milk, heavy cream, eggs, granulated sugar, maple syrup, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined. Add cubed bread, gently pressing each piece down to soak in the egg mixture.
- Pour the bread/egg mixture into the prepared dish, spreading it evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- If refrigerated for 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 350°F . If refrigerated overnight, take the dish out of the fridge while preheating. Bake for 45 to 48 minutes until the French Toast is golden on top.
- Cool and Serve: Allow it to cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
One of the best things about this recipe is its make-ahead convenience. You can assemble the casserole the night before, cover it tightly, and refrigerate it. In the morning, simply pop it in the oven, and voilà! A delicious breakfast is ready to be served.
While the recipe calls for sturdy bread like sourdough or baguette, you can get creative with different bread varieties. Brioche, challah, or even whole-grain bread can add their unique flavors and textures to the dish.
While heavy cream adds richness to the custard, you can absolutely substitute it with an additional ½ cup of milk for a lighter version. The casserole will still turn out delicious and creamy.
The options are endless! You can add a dollop of whipped cream, a drizzle of maple syrup, or a sprinkle of powdered sugar for a classic touch. Fresh berries, sliced bananas, or toasted nuts also make fantastic toppings, adding extra texture and flavor.
- Breakfast Hashbrown Casserole
- Apricot Cherry Breakfast Bread
- Blueberry French Toast Bake
- Lemon Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast with Blueberry Compote
If you’ve tried this Easy French Toast Casserole or any other recipe on Barbara Bakes, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories.
Easy French Toast Casserole
- 9 slices sturdy bread such as sourdough or a medium-sized baguette, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup heavy cream or substitute an additional ½ cup of milk
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup brings a unique flavor twist, but can be substituted or omitted if not available
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Begin by liberally buttering a 9×13-inch baking dish to create a flavorful golden crust upon baking. You can alternatively use oil if preferred.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, heavy cream, eggs, granulated sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined.
- Add the bread cubes to the mixture, immersing each piece to ensure it’s thoroughly soaked with the egg mixture.
- Transfer the soaked bread and any remaining liquid into the prepared baking dish, distributing evenly across the dish.
- Cover the dish and place it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or, if time permits, overnight. This allows the bread to absorb the flavors more deeply.
- When ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). If the casserole was refrigerated overnight, allow it to sit at room temperature while the oven preheats.
- Bake the French Toast for about 45-48 minutes, or until the top is beautifully golden.
- Allow the bake to cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving to ensure it retains its structure when cut.
- Ingredient Substitutions:
- Maple syrup can be substituted with honey if preferred.
The best types of bread for this bake are hearty varieties such as sourdough, brioche, challah, or baguette. Day-old bread, which is a bit dry, tends to work best as it absorbs the egg mixture more effectively without becoming soggy.
- Serve this French Toast Bake adorned with fresh fruits, a drizzle of maple syrup, a swirl of hot fudge or caramel, and/or a dusting of powdered sugar.
Consider adding chocolate chips or sprinkles to the mixture for an exciting flavor variation.
A sprinkle of roasted pecans on top can add a delightful crunch.
Serve with flavored whipped cream and a variety of flavored syrups for a customizable experience.
Storage & Reheating:
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat individual servings in the air fryer at 350°F (175°C) for 3-4 minutes, or until warmed through.
Easy French Toast Casserole is a breakfast dream come true. With its irresistible flavor, make-ahead convenience, and versatility, it’s the perfect dish to brighten up your mornings and make them extra special.