A brownie base is topped with marshmallows, covered with rich chocolate ganache and topped with colorful mini M&M’s or colorful sprinkles. These fun Mini Marshmallow Surprise Brownie Bites are super easy to make and perfect for a party, or stash them in the freezer and enjoy just one little bite at a time.
When I was searching my site for a fun dessert to take to a Christmas party, my Chocolate Marshmallow Surprise Cookies popped up. The party was a potluck served buffet style, so I was looking for something that was easy-to-serve and easy-to-eat. So I transformed the cookies into a fun, easy-to-make, easy-to-serve brownie bite.
I used M&M Mini’s Baking Bits in fun Christmas colors to decorate the top, but you can change up the topping for any holiday or celebration.
Making Brownie Bites
Brownie bites are easy to make in a mini muffin pan. It’s easier if you have two mini muffins pans to make this recipe, but you could make them in two batches since the cook time is only 14 minutes. Use a small scoop to easily portion out 1 tablespoon of brownie batter.
My easy brownie bite recipe starts with a brownie mix. I buy the Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownie Mix from Costco, which has 6 pouches in a box. You’ll only need 1 pouch for this recipe. If you want to use a different brownie mix you can, it may make more than 48 bites. You can also make the brownie bites batter from scratch if you prefer.
I love these mini cupcake liners from You Care. The liners peel away from the brownie so easily. I highly recommend using liners but if you don’t have liners, you can use the Bakers Joy nonstick cooking spray with flour.
Decorating Brownie Bites
To make the chocolate glaze (ganache), I used Milk Chocolate Wafers, but you could use your favorite semi-sweet chocolate baking bar as well. In a pinch, you could use high-quality chocolate chips, but they don’t melt as well.
You can cover the marshmallows completely with the chocolate glaze (ganache) but I preferred the look of the brownie bites with a little bit of the marshmallow peaking out.
Storing and Freezing Brownie Bites
You can store the brownie bites on the counter in a tightly sealed container or Ziploc bags. Brownie Bites freeze well in an air-tight container or Ziploc freezer bag for up to three months.
More Brownie Bites You Might Like:
Mini Marshmallow Surprise Brownies
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 pouch Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownie Mix
- 10 oz package Miniature Marshmallows
- 5 ounces of chocolate finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Line two 24 count mini muffin pans with paper liners. (The brownies can be difficult to remove from the pan without liners, but you can use nonstick baking spray with flour.)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together water, oil, and egg until well combined. Add brownie mix and stir until well blended. Scoop 1 tablespoon brownie batter into each of the paper-lined muffin cups.
- Bake brownies 14 minutes until the brownies are firm to the touch.
- Put 4 miniature marshmallows in the center of each brownie. Return to the oven, and bake until marshmallows begin to puff, 1 to 2 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Transfer brownies to a wire rack to cool before frosting.
- Prepare Chocolate Glaze: Put the chocolate in a small glass bowl and set aside. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine heavy cream and corn syrup; microwave heavy cream just until it starts to boil, about 30 seconds. Pour over the chocolate; set aside for 3 minutes. Whisk until chocolate is melted and smooth. If necessary, microwave an additional 10 seconds at 50% power.
- Drizzle a spoonful of the glaze on top of the marshmallow. Top with M&M Baking Bits or other colorful candies.